Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Journey to Krispy Kreme

I'm sharing here my experience with Windows Live Search for Mobile application and how I used it to find my way to the mouth watering Krispy Kreme doughnuts

This is going to be a long entry with lot of screen shots of Windows Live Search for Mobile in action...

Last Sunday we were shopping in Lincoln Square (Bellevue, WA) and the thought of doughnuts flashed triggered by the Cheese Cake factory across the road. For me, doughnuts should be from Krispy Kreme, otherwise they're not doughnuts :-) I know there is a Krispy Kreme outlet we frequent in Issaquah (WA) but not the route to it. I pulled out my Windows Mobile 6 phone and launched Windows Live Search for Mobile, rest are the screen shots explaining how I got the route to Krispy Kreme.

I don't have a GPS hooked to my phone, so the first objective is to get my current location on the map, I did it by choosing the location as Bellevue, Washington and the query as Lincoln Square...

Bingo, got the location in the first hit and on clicking the result...

Look, there is a phone number too, this is very easy to call and find out about the business. I'm already there, and I need to find nearby Krispy Kreme, so I hit Search Nearby at the bottom of the screen and this time my query is Krispy Kreme!

Ooh, there is a Krispy Kreme in Seattle nearby, but this is not my favorite location, let's see what else we got...

The Issaquah branch is a bit farther away, but I'd like to go there instead of Seattle, so I clicked on it. Now the phone number is useful to call them and find out their business hours, but I know they're open for another couple of hours, so I clicked Directions To Here...

Neat, my start location is automatically set as Lincoln Square and the destination is Krispy Kreme, Issaquah. I hit Route...

Awesome, turn by turn directions and now for the Map...

Notice the traffic information overlay, uber-coolness :-) Now, if I'd hooked up a GPS unit, I would've got real-time turn by turn instructions (there's something for my next gadget shopping). There is no audible turn by turn directions in Windows Live Search for Mobile currently, a feature I hope will be there in future!

The whole process took only 2 minutes, I did the whole thing while walking to the parking garage to my car. And I took 15 minutes to blog about it because this is a very useful and cool application to have and I ought share it :-)

later...

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 04, 2007 2:33:00 PM, Blogger Gomathi Sarma said...

Wow.. this is awesome. Way too cool :) I think I should get your help to configure live maps to my SDA as well

 

Post a Comment

<< Home